7 Tips in Hiring the Right Painting Contractor
Hiring a skilled painting contractor or getting some professional painting services are some of the ways to relieve all your stress from your home painting project. However, looking and hiring the right person to get the job done isn’t as easy as you think, since this decision will definitely require great and careful considerations. To make your decision-making easier, here is a list of tips that could serve as your guide to successfully hire the right professional for your house painting project.
1. Ask for referrals. One of the best ways to find a skilled painting contractor is to get recommendations from your family, friends, or neighbors. Also, check out on your acquaintances who have had worked and had a great experience with a painting contractor in your area in Singapore. Aside from asking for referrals, you could also ask them if they can show you the place that the contractor worked on. This will give you an idea if the painter that the person is recommending to you will be able to provide the painting services that you need for your project.
2. Get estimates from different contractors. In receiving estimates from various contractors, expect that each should fall roughly in the same price range.
3. Interview your potential contractors. When you’ve already listed your potential contractors, personally interview each of them and ask them a few questions about their house painting experiences and the painting services that they can possibly provide you. Aside from that, also ask them the following questions:
• How long have you been in the home painting business?
• Do you have the required and proper licenses?
• Do you also have bonding and insurance for property damages?
• Are you a member of a national or local Singapore painting contractor’s association?
• Can you provide references of your previous work?
• Do you provide written guarantees of your work?
4. Pay attention to your contractor’s behavior. As you meet and interview your contractor, another thing that you should closely pay attention to is his behavior. Use this following behaviors and signs to know if you’re just about to hire the right contractor.
• Does your chosen contractor project a sense of professionalism?
• Is he courteous, but business-like?
• Does he return calls and give estimates on the agreed time?
• Is he always on time for your appointments?
5. Be specific with your project. Once you have already chosen your contractor, walk him around the areas that he will be working on, while discussing to him your needs particularly the aspects which could affect the overall price of the job. Be specific about the surfaces that you want to be painted – the ceilings, moldings, trims, and walls – and the paint color and finishes that you would prefer to use for the project.
6. Check for references. Before hiring your contractor, get at least three references from his previous customers and speak to them personally, if possible. Also, if given the chance, ask the client if you can come and visit the area so that you can evaluate the contractor’s work and see how well it was done over the specified timeframe of the project.
7. Review your contract. Once you’ve already decided to settle on a particular contractor, ask him to provide a written contract and review it carefully. Since you’re the client, you have every right to ask questions about the things on the contract that you want to clarify. Be sure that you have these things verified:
• Details about the painting preparation and cleanups.
• Paint colors and finishes to be used on each area to be painted on.
• Will the contract cover damages on patios, plants, and other furnishings?
• How long it will possibly take to finish the project
• How and when will the painter be paid
With these tips to go by, its rest assured that you’ll be able to find and hire a skilled and reliable contractor who can provide the Singapore painting services that you’ll be needing and asking for. So all that’s left for you to do now is to wait for the project to finish and enjoy your freshly painted home.